Here’s How Much Apple Watch Series 3 Cellular Data Will Cost
Apple today unveiled its Apple Watch Series 3, the company’s first wearable to feature built-in cellular connectivity. And wireless carriers are already eager to get the new Watch added to customer’s plans.
Cellular connectivity obviously adds a lot of functionality to the Apple Watch. Users can stream tracks via Apple Music without their phone nearby, send and receive text messages, and — as demonstrated at Apple’s keynote — even make calls while paddle-boarding or surfing. It offers the device a lot more autonomy and lets users stay connected in more scenarios — if they prefer exercising without their handset, for example. Of course, that cellular connectivity isn’t going to be free.
How Much Will It Cost?
- The cellular-connected Apple Watch S3 will run customers $ 399, as opposed to the $ 349 starting price on the non-cellular model.
- Additionally, wireless carriers will also charge consumers a bit more to add their Apple Watch to their wireless plans. Since the Watch uses the same phone number as a user’s smartphone, they’ll need to go through the same wireless provider.
- AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile will all charge $ 10 extra per month for users to add their Apple Watch Series 3 wearables to their cellular plans.
- Verizon and T-Mobile both announced that they will give new S3 users three free months of cellular service, while Verizon added that it will waive activation and upgrade fees for connected Apple Watch devices.
- Sprint, on the other, didn’t immediately disclose its pricing for Appel Watch connectivity. The company is slated to announce its own pricing on Wednesday.
- It’s also worth noting that the $ 10 a month fee is double what Verizon charged for users to add the Samsung Gear 2 to their mobile plans. Currently, there’s no word as to why Verizon is charging more for a similar device.
The Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular connectivity will be limited to the U.S., U.K., Canada, Puerto Rico, Australia, France, Germany, Japan, Switzerland, and China at launch. The device will become available for pre-order on Sept. 15, before shipping to customers and launching in stores on Sept. 22.